Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's amazing how labels come around

So it's Sunday evening and not much to report from this weekend. The weather was less than desirable, so not much action with the Robinson's. Jason's and Ty's first full week is over with in school, and all is good. Cade begins school tomorrow, and to prepare him, Jason attempted to give him a haircut. Let's just say "torture chamber" and hair everywhere! Cade DOES NOT like to have his haircut. He has sensory issues, and cutting his hair is a big one! End result...good not great, but good. Thanks Honey for taking one for the team!
Speaking of Cade, I wanted to write about my experience and appointment with him on Thursday.
For those of you who have been following, I put the boys in school back in Jan when we first got here, and it did not go well. Cade was immediately labeled Autistic, after only 12 hours of being there, and they felt he needed to be screened. Cade is my spirited child who has a wonderful personality, but will give you a run for your money. He is very goal-oriented, perceptive, and selective in who he associates with. This teacher really was not up for the challenge and in my opinion (coming from a former educator not mommy) she is not qualified, nor could she have taught Cade anything! Anyway, based on that I was a bit concerned, so I went ahead and set up a screening. You know how it is when you know something in just not the case even if someone has said it is the case?? Well, that what it was for me. I knew that Cade was not Autistic, even though he was being labeled. I needed something in writing....proof if you will. So I took him to an initial screening, which in turn was followed up by a secondary screening which took place on Thursday. There was a child psychologist, speech pathologist, and an occupational therapist. Long story short, after two hours of tests, he is NOT autistic! The speech pathologist did bring up speech delay, which was no surprise. I was even the one who brought it up to them to begin with. That I can live with...fixable!
Anyway, I am thrilled that I have my answers, and I wish I could go back and show it to this poor excuse for a teacher, but there is not point! I know my son and what he needs, ad I am really hoping this new school and new teacher will be able to fill those shoes. Cade is really great once he allows you to get to know him!
That's all for now...peace!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

wow. I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this. I miss you.