Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekend without kids

Friday morning came around and by 8 am I was out the door, headed north to Austin. I was on my way, kid less, to spend the weekend with my hubby who I have missed dearly!! As I drove, mind you with all windows working, I thought to myself, "Could this be true?" No kids...yipee!! The drive was so quiet, and peaceful. There was no mommy I want this, let's sing that, lets do this and that. Now this may sound a bit cruel, but I am usually 24/7 with my children, so a weekend for them with grandma is warranted. She had a fun filled weekend planned, and so did I. Besides the date night here and there, I have not had a weekend or a holiday with my husband since he started grad school. Our last adventure was in Costa Rica, almost 2 years ago, when my mother in law came to stay with my kids for 8 days...so you can agree that it was time for some kid less time!
Anyway, my arrival to Austin called for some lunch and a nap...yeah a nap. I never get to take a nap..horray!! Unfortunately I over slept, so I had to rush to get ready. Typically when going out with my husband, we are fashionably late ( I like to make an entrance hahaha), but not with the military. They pride themselves on timely arrivals, and keep to schedules. No to worry folks, we got there with 5 minutes to spare. Just enough time to make it to the bar for a glass of wine. Army Ball was really nice. Last year, not so much, so I have to say I was dreading it; hence the glass of wine, well not really I just like wine. Anywho, this year there is a new commander, so things were much more formal and elegant. Dinner was yummy, and the speaker was fabulous. What a change from last year. I don't say that very often when it comes to Army stuff, but it was! The speaker is a Brigadier General (not sure of the spelling) from the Pentagon that just recently came to head the 1st Cav here in Ft. Hood. Pretty high up in the chain so to speak.
So the rest of the weekend was full of shopping, eating, movies, naps, hanging out with friends, and NO KIDS!! (smile) I came back to Laredo Sunday late afternoon. Relaxed and ready to chase kiddos again. We will be here another week, and then back to Austin for the month of May to wrap everything up for the big move...yikes!
Here are a few pics from the ball.







Back to my two busy boys: parks, bike rides, NO NAPS, outdoor activities and hot Laredo...oh the joy!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You both look great, love the do! Hair-do that is!

Christina Sell said...

So impressive. You really do look beautiful. Plus the hubby is quite handsome. Love you.

Jen said...

It's amazing what a little makeup and hairspray can do! I was not sure I was gonna throw it together, but I guess it didn't come out to shabby!!