Saturday, October 18, 2008

SO I Thought I Was In Shape??

I was telling you all about my cousins dance studio where I am now teaching yoga classes on Monday and Wednesday mornings....well, she has been after me to take some of her classes.
Just a little history...I began dancing when I was two. My mom registered me for ballet classes with the local dance studio. Apparently for the first month all I did was parade around in my dance outfit, just kinda doing my own thing...I like to call it lyrical and expressive dance. Since all the other children were a bit more disciplined, my mom pulled me out and waited until I turned three. Much better I suppose, because I continued my dance career until I was eighteen years of age. I took all types from ballet to toe, flamenco to jazz. I went off to college, took some dance courses there, but decided to make my mark as a college cheerleader...but that is another story.
Back to the present: Since I really had not found a place to practice public yoga, and quite frankly I really don't kick my own ass like Christina would if I were in her public classes, so I need to find some other form to compensate. I decided to take my cousin's hip hop class....That's right you read it correctly...H I P H O P class.
I went Thursday evening, as my mom stayed with the boys. How bad could one hour class be?? The warm up great! The moves took me back to the 80's when I was in fact dancing and cheering at the same time. It was those get down moves. I for one love to dance. LOVE IT!!! I married a fab dancer (who knew for a white guy), so we are known to go out on the dance floor and bust a move here and there...I can shake what my momma gave me.
ANYWAY, I was able to keep up great with all the little high schoolers (16-18). I was moving and groovin' until we came down to the floor. The music changed, and we began the series of 150 sit ups and crunches...(excuse my language-never said this was a G rated blog) HOLY SHIT!!!! !&^%#&$))@&^$%@($&!!!!!! (those were a few other choice words that I will refrain from). As I was struggling after the first 60ish or so...it was down hill! I looked around and these girls are jammin and moving while doing there sets...no break in between, transitioning from crunches to obliques, to coming up and back down to floor while keeping legs on floor....SERIOUSLY?? I was dying!! After it was said and done the sit ups that is, I laid there just laughing at myself as these kids popped off the floor. Talk about painful- body and ego...in fact it is two days later and I am still hurting! Boy was that a rude awakening?? You can betcha I will be ready for next week baby! Yes, I am going back, and not only am I going back on Thursday's, but I am starting Monday's as well. This chicky will be able to keep up with the teeny boppers! Just wait and see. I think it will be good. Practice yoga in the am daily and shake my bootie Monday and Thursdays... what could be better?? I guess yoga classes with Christina, but not an option so I work with what I have :)
Let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

Bekaboo said...

How funny!! If I could have only seen it with my own eyes. I guess it's one of those "have to be there" moments. You have to let me know how this evenings class goes. Go gett'em tigger! miss you!

Beka