Friday, July 11, 2008

In the Depths of Potty Training

So since Monday I have been potty training my long over due 3 year old. We tried before he turned 3 in Jan but to no avail. We tried again after he turned 3 in Feb, only to be left up to my ears in diapers. I gave up for March- couldn't deal with rejection, tried again in April, but obviously I am in the process now. May was crazy with the move coming, and June I was in the middle of no where.....so here we are in July, and I am determined! We started off the morning on Monday with the whole ritual of throwing all the diapers in the trash. Cade actually threw them in himself, as myself, Ty and my mom said good bye to "diapies". The timer came on. With my first I used a timer 30 min time frames and within 2 weeks completely completely potty trained before he turned 3...this second one is a different monster. Anyway, so when the timer goes off, we all yell "Pee Pee time!", and there is a conga line to the potty. Cade loves praise so we make a big deal when he goes....I am happy to report that even though it is a lot of work, he is doing great. No accidents since Monday morning, and he wakes up dry in the morning..oh wait "PEE PEE TIME" be right back.......
OK back...score! After staying indoors for two days, we ventured out on Wed. First we went to Target so Cade could pick out his "big boy" chones (chones= underwear{Spanish slang}). I did that with Ty, and he wanted cars, batman, spiderman etc. As we stood there in front looking at the complete display, I called out a few, but he went straight for Dora the Explorer. Now for those who don't know they don't make Dora in boys. The ones he had in his hands were pink and lacy. What a struggle trying to get the Dora underwear out of his hands. I had to remove all the Dora underwear in sight. We finally decided on Diego, Thomas the Train, and Mikey Mouse. Geeze, what an ordeal. Here's a pic.
Thomas the Train chones


So now I have two peas in a pod- Speed Racer & Thomas chones


So after Target, we went to my grandfathers ranch. Now you have to know that here in South Texas, you have to have a ranch...seriously. People in Laredo are all about their ranches. So we went for a couple of hours. I was a bit nervous because until this point, Cade had run around in his birthday suit and had been sitting down to potty. Now he was going to get to go in the great outdoors standing up. Well folks all was well...we made it through.
Ty, Cade, Tony & Savannah on Tata's tractor


Since then we have been out and about, going to potties wherever we go. I have never been to so many public restrooms...I don't recommend it if you don't have to!!
We are working on #2... it is a work in progress..I know you all really wanted to know that :)
Long over due, we took poor Oliver to the beauty shop yesterday. Poor dog looked like he was a trash eating, back alley, roaming the streets, homeless dog. He had not been groomed since the beginning of May. Don't get me wrong he still is that kinda dog (LOL for those who know my dog), but is now groomed. He was clean the entire time, just could not see out of his eyes (me laughing)
Here's a pic with his bandanna. For those who don't know Oliver is always dressed.

I think today we are venturing out some more today....wish me luck! 5 days down, and counting-trust me!
Oh, Jason flies in July 24Th....I am SOOOOOO excited. He will be here in TX until Aug 2ND. Then I won't see him until I fly up for his graduation Oct. 30Th. uggghh, what a trip!

2 comments:

HFP said...

That's hilarious Jen! So often I have to fight the don't buy the Dora sunglasses and balls in pink! But I did let Dylan get some Dora books today...haha.

Good thing the Target here doesn't have Dora undies next to the boy undies. We're now onto Power Rangers everything!

Christina Sell said...

Who knew?
You could write a book- "Pound Cake and Potty Training- the life and times of a yoga teaching mother of two".